As a Senior Designer, you are passionate about urban design to foster walkable, sustainable communities and the architecture that makes them work. As a highly-motivated design enthusiast, you are energized by complex problem-solving. Working with a cohesive team of designers, you are responsible for assisting with internal production management on all aspects of urban design, planning and architecture projects, from initial design through the final deliverables, as well as creating exemplary designs, strategies and solutions for buildings and walkable places to support strong communities.
- Job Captain: Assist with internal production management to plan, organize, direct and control projects, from initial scope, schedule and budget development through conceptual design to project delivery, to provide well-designed, high-quality, timely and profitable results
- Generate compelling presentation drawings that clearly illustrate design concepts in the Opticos style, via hand drawing and computer rendering
- Assist in developing master plan and building design sets, Specific Plans, Form-Based Codes, and other architecture and planning designs and documents using Opticos’ standards and templates, and participate in the continuing development of these templates and standards
- Write clear, concise and effective narrative text and policy for planning documents and deliverables
- Support Project Managers and other team members with urban design, planning and architecture projects
- Assist with research and development projects
- Provide outstanding service and responsiveness to clients and vendors
- Maintain accurate timesheets with daily record of time spent by project
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications ane Experience
- Professional-level degree in Architecture or Urban Design and 5+ years’ related experience
- Strong design skills in both architecture and urban design
- Commitment to work toward accreditation by a professional organization in planning or architecture
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator; SketchUp; VectorWorks; Microsoft Word and Excel
- Solid problem solving, design, and time management skills. Able to interpret and apply complex policies and procedures in a timely fashion
- Experience in document writing and editing
- Solid interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills; articulate and professional, yet service-oriented and approachable
- Self-motivated with stellar work ethic and a demonstrated penchant for ownership and getting the job done
- Great attitude, natural leadership qualities, and sense of humor
Benefits and Perks
- Environmentally and socially conscious organization
- Engaging and supportive staff culture
- Convenient location in downtown Berkeley close to public transportation
- Full benefits and paid company holidays
- Dog friendly
- Hybrid remote/in-office due to COVID-19 precautions
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter, resume, and portfolio to email@example.com. Tell us what excites you about this opportunity, share your lived experience, and how you can help us make an impact.
Opticos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At Opticos, we hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not only because we value diversity, but also because we know that it makes us stronger. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring.
Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups often only apply to jobs if they meet all of the qualifications. However, no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications. We encourage you to break that statistic and to apply. We look forward to your application.