to Build Sustainable, Livable Communities
Missing Middle Housing
Opticos created the Missing Middle Housing concept to reframe the way we discuss housing choices in our communities, to highlight the growing demand for walkable urban living across the country, and to raise awareness of the fact that our planning and development systems need to change to respond to the demand for these housing types.
Missing Middle Housing is a range of multi-unit or clustered housing types—such as duplexes, fourplexes, and bungalow courts—that are compatible and in scale with single-family homes. We thoughtfully design Missing Middle Housing to be beautiful and dynamic pieces of thriving, walkable neighborhoods. As the firm that launched the Missing Middle Housing movement, we provide unique expertise in a wide variety of urban contexts:
- Design of Missing Middle Housing types and unit plans
- Integration into master plans
- Zoning to remove barriers and provide incentives for Missing Middle Housing
- Consulting and presentations
- Integration into comprehensive/general plans
- Integration into affordable housing strategies
For more, visit missingmiddlehousing.com.