We’re now hiring for the following position!
We’re looking for a new Senior Planner to help us make an impact by leading smaller planning and urban design projects and participating as part of the team on larger ones. The job entails participation and leadership on planning and urban design projects, from initial diagnosis through the final deliverables. We’re looking for someone with a passion for walkable, bikable, transit-oriented places and the planning and design that makes them work. The ideal candidate will be a dedicated team player and great communicator who loves to engage in order to improve any process. They will have some experience in urban planning and design, ready to bring it to the table, and eager to learn more to help raise Opticos’s level of impact.
Areas of Responsibility
Urban Design and Coding:
- Lead and manage urban planning projects, including Comprehensive Plans, Specific Plans, Form-Based Codes and citywide zoning codes, and community engagement
- Develop planning documents listed above using Opticos’ standards and templates and meeting Opticos’ quality standards, and participate in the continuing development of these templates and standards
- Provide mentorship, support and direction to a diverse group of staff
- Lead Quality Assurance / Quality Control for planning projects
- Provide outstanding service and responsiveness to firm’s clients
- Participate in developing project fee budgets and work scopes for new projects, and procure additional services from existing clients
- Assist on research and development projects
- Plan, organize, direct, and control small- to mid-scale projects, from initial scope, schedule and budget development through project delivery, to provide well-designed, high-quality, timely, and profitable results
- Establish and maintain good relationships and communication with the full project team, including clients, subconsultants, and the internal team
- Procure and manage internal staff and allocate project tasks
- Work with bookkeeper to bill clients and manage subconsultant contracts, if any
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience working as an urban planner role
- Degree in City Planning, Urban and Regional Planning, or related discipline
- Current AICP certification preferred
- Experience in developing Comprehensive Plans, Specific Plans, Form-Based Codes and citywide zoning codes, and leading community engagement for cities and communities
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a consulting environment preferred
- Technical proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Evernote and Microsoft Word and Excel. If no direct experience with these programs, then a qualified candidate will have demonstrable evidence of competencies in being able to quickly learn new software applications
- Advanced competency in document writing and editing
- Excellent problem solving, design, and time management skills. Able to interpret and apply complex policies and procedures in a timely fashion
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and client, consultant and project administration effectively
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills; articulate and professional, yet approachable in corresponding within the company and with clients and vendors
- Proven ability to work with sensitive material in an open, collaborative environment
- Experience in and knowledge of budgets, forecasts, quality control and general project management
- Desire to work with a team of values-driven, enthusiastic urban planners, architects and community engagement specialists
- Passionate about professional development in themselves and in their team
- Self-motivated and service-oriented
- Stellar work ethic and a demonstrated penchant for ownership and getting the job done
- Great attitude, natural leadership, and a sense of humor
- Passionate about sustainable urban design and planning
As with many other things at Opticos, our compensation methods may be a little different. All staff, from the Principals to the office staff, start with modest but reasonable salaries. This keeps our baseline reasonable, which helps us to weather storms as a team, including the recent recession in which we did not have any layoffs due to the recession. Then in good times, we all share in the bounty, with a portion of our profits distributed to the team as bonuses. We also offer benefits, including health insurance, long-term disability insurance, a Simple IRA retirement plan, paid time off, and paid holidays with an extra paid week off in December.
Process to Apply
Please send a PDF resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and address the following topics in a cover letter in the order described below (emails and cover letters that do not explicitly address the following questions will be dismissed without review).
1. What most excites you about our company? Be specific about at least two aspects.
2. What role have you held in the past that you sense is most similar to this the role described or what life experiences have you had that you sense have prepared you most for this role?
3. What challenges would you anticipate, if any, in taking this role?
4. Describe one thing you’ve learned about our organization while researching this opportunity.